Upbring BeREAL New Orleans
A transition program designed to help Louisiana’s foster youth, ages 13-25, Upbring BeREAL New Orleans empowers them to become contributing and self-sufficient members of our communities, ultimately helping to break generational cycles of poverty and abuse. BeREAL New Orleans is a joint project of Upbring and Louisiana’s Department of Children & Family Services.
Empowering Young Adults. Building Lives. Achieving Independence.
Until now, there have been very few options for young adults in New Orleans – many do not graduate high school, become homeless or incarcerated within the first year or are unable to pursue higher education.
Our goal is to change the odds for these young adults by offering support as they transition from foster care to adulthood.
BeREAL Support Network
Everyone needs someone on their side – someone who not only challenges them to achieve, but who listens to them. BeREAL New Orleans has made all the difference for these young adults by providing transition coaches and mentors to play important roles in helping foster teens find their paths to hopeful, productive futures with life-changing impact.
- Transition Coach: Assigned to each youth to assist with creating their education and career plan and provide advice, resources and counseling.
- Volunteer Mentor: Matched with each youth, offering additional support to help them achieve their goals.
- Gap Team Volunteers: Provide short-term, specific services such as tutoring.
We are always seeking people who want to make a tangible difference in the lives of the foster youth.
BeREAL New Orleans offers:
- College and career counseling
- Incentives and scholarships for academic achievement
- Free outings and events
- Mentoring and permanent connections to caring adults
The Net Charter High School – A New Strategic Partnership
Upbring BeREAL New Orleans recently announced a new partnership with The Net Charter High School – a progressive, innovative learning institution that serves students with many of the same struggles as our BeREAL youth.
In August 2015, BeREAL New Orleans relocated and is sharing a space at The Net – allowing our program to expand its impact and capacity in the New Orleans area – offering education and career development services to The Net’s seniors and alumni.
With this partnership, BeREAL New Orleans will continue to maintain a caseload of approximately six youth transitioning out of foster care, as well as, provide services to approximately 50 students and numerous alumni from The Net.
We Need Your Help
- BeREAL Housing Assistance. Provide rent, furniture or household supplies for foster youth who turn 18 while still in high school.
- Mentor or Volunteer. Work with a BeREAL participant as they advance through our program.
- Make a Gift. Your financial support is used for college scholarships, school supplies, personal items, transportation costs, recreational activities and more.
For more information about BeREAL New Orleans, call 504-931-3408.