It’s always a welcome sight when the crew of green-shirted volunteers from BP North America Gas & Power (NAGP) arrive at Upbring Krause Children’s Center for a BP workday. These amazing volunteers take on enormous construction and landscaping projects and make significant campus improvements.
BP Energy Company President and CEO Orlando Alvarez – and longtime supporter of Krause – personally thanked the volunteers for their continued support to this very special place, and for being a part of the NAGP family. “I hope you all know how much your time helps these special kids, and how much it is appreciated. This is what it is all about,” he said.
The BP crew of 38 accomplished so much during workday last week – donating more than 250 hours that will be matched by the BP Foundation.
Their list of achievements includes:
- Provided lunch for the kids and staff at the center – the kids LOVED pizza day!
- Removed the old basketball court tiles
- Shoveled away more than eight years of accumulated ‘mulch’
- Removed old flooring and added new tile in two small bathrooms
- Removed old carpet and installed new hardwood laminate in the employee lounge
- Installed a new fence gate to allow more controlled access to and from the Point Store – a rewards store for the girls
- Custom designed and installed a new basketball/volleyball storage unit in the gym
- Repaired the courtyard deck – allowing a large tree more room to grow
- Cleaned exterior flower beds and raked up more than 25 bags of leaves and debris
- Cleaned four large planters and repurposed two cubic yards of dirt to create a vegetable garden; planted more than 60 new “pick-and-eat” vegetable plants
Belinda George, NAGP Transformation Project IST- IT&S (Integrated Supply and Trading/ Information Technology & Services), took a few minutes to visit with the volunteers. “You came together as One Team in order to make a difference, for both the Center, and the kids,” said Belinda. “Your work has become woven into the fabric of Krause and you all are truly a part of the great mission we do here for these kids.”
BP has been Krause’s title sponsor for the Krause Golf Tournament for eight years. The next tournament is coming up Monday, June 15 at the BlackHorse Golf Club in Cypress.
Thank you BP – the girls at Krause, and staff, appreciate all you do!