It’s that special time of year! As the holidays approach and we gather with family and friends to reflect on our blessings and our hope for things to come, we must not forget those still searching for their forever home. Some youth lack this stability and love. To even consider gifts and presents is a lofty dream.
Upbring’s Angel Tree Project gives people the chance to brighten the lives of at-risk youth in foster care. By visiting participating offices, churches and community centers, you can sponsor one of our “angels” by gifting as you’re able.
Different institutions (schools, churches, etc.) will decorate a tree with “angel” cards, which include a child’s name along with a short wish list or guidelines to help you, such as their favorite color or their shirt size. You can then purchase appropriate gifts for the “angel” of your choosing.
To sponsor a child:
- Pick an angel from the tree. Each angel has the first name, gender, and age of the child, along with a short wish list.
- Purchase appropriate gifts for the child or children described on the tags.
- Provide unwrapped items to the contact person at the participating community organization or your local Foster In Texas (FIT) office (Click here to find a FIT office near you!) by Thursday, December 10, 2015. (You can put them in a gift bag if you prefer.)
- Be sure to put the angel tag or a note with the child’s name on the items.
- The gifts will be distributed to the children at the annual Christmas party for the foster families.
If you are unable to locate a participating organization in the community, you can also contact the local FIT office directly (List of FIT Offices & Contact Information) to request a child or family to sponsor. Not only are you bringing joy to our children, you’re also helping out the loving foster families who have taken on the incredible responsibility of caring for a child or several children.
The Upbring Foster In Texas (FIT) program connects loving families with abused, neglected and abandoned children who have been placed with Upbring through Child Protective Services, the Juvenile Probation Department or family placements and referrals. Upbring-FIT helps thousands of children each year to feel safe and secure, and receive the care and nurturing that is absent in their home environments.