[story by Diane Covert, LSS Associate Vice President for Advancement]
For the past six years, BP Energy has partnered with Krause Children’s Center in Katy, where the young residents, ages 11-17, are in treatment to heal from their troubled pasts and histories of abuse and neglect. BP has supported the Krause kids in many ways, but it’s the BP work days that have become legendary. BP employees bring tools, all supplies, and major manpower, and take on enormous projects and landscaping overhauls.
On the most recent BP work day in October, over 80 BP employees arrived at 8:00 a.m., rolled up their sleeves and went to work.
Take a look at how much they accomplished:
· Ripped out the carpet on two girls units and the boys unit, and replaced with new carpet tiles.
· Installed new bathroom stalls in the ladies public restroom.
· Painted the kitchen a sunny yellow color, which really brightened things up!
· Some windows were replaced and others fixed; all ground floor windows were washed.
· Provided a huge dumpster to haul everything away.
All in all, it was a beautiful day and we got so much work done! The kids and the staff were treated to pizza and huge cookies provided by BP. The kids were particularly appreciative and impressed with the new carpet in their units.