If you already gather with neighbors and friends for regular meet-ups such as book clubs, bunco groups, poker nights, tennis teams, Bible studies, or bridge groups, you are half-way there! These opportunities are custom-made to pay it forward and do some “fun-raising” for children in crisis, while honoring moms everywhere. The date of the event is entirely up to you; your get-together does not have to be held prior to Mother’s Day.
If the children of LSS are a cause you believe in, inspire your friends to join in and help out – by hosting a party or by taking a few moments at your regular monthly get-togethers to share the plight and hope of these children. We call them the “Children of Promise.” They are the abandoned, abused, and neglected children served by LSS – very few of whom had caring mothers of their own.
In 2011 alone they were:
· The 1,871 children provided foster care in 16 communities across Texas;
· 500 children who had been severely abused or neglected and received help at LSS residential treatment centers;
· 444 unaccompanied child refugees served at Bokenkamp Emergency Shelter in Corpus Christi, and 184 in foster homes in El Paso.
· 148 Texas children adopted through our domestic adoption program, and 52 children adopted through the international program;
· 31 youth aging out of the foster care system in a pilot program in New Orleans.
Please encourage everyone you know to make a donation to support the “Children of Promise.” Collect the donations at your party or gathering and send them to:
c/o Lutheran Social Services
PO BOX 140767
Austin, TX 78714
Now let’s get this party started … Get your group inspired to help, raise a glass, and celebrate the spirit of Mother’s Day!
Contact Susan Rang if you have questions: [email protected]; 512-706-7512 or 800-938-5777 ext 7512