[story by Lisa Brown, New Life Director of Volunteers]
What happens when 44 volunteers gather on one “Special Sunday” at New Life Children’s Center in Canyon Lake? A whole lotta work gets done! A group of 44 volunteers from St. Andrew Lutheran (Canyon Lake, TX), Peace Lutheran (New Braunfels, TX), and St. John Lutheran (Marion, TX) came ready to work and accomplish all they could on Sunday, Sept. 8th, as part of “God’s Work. Our Hands.” Sunday, a national day of service for congregations in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). It is estimated that as many 2,500 ELCA congregations around the country participated in this special Sunday.
Keeping the New Life campus in the best possible condition is a big job, but the volunteers were undaunted. They tackled landscaping, painting, and clearing brush. Their accomplishments included:
- Breaking down the summer garden and preparing it for winter planting.
- Giving the outside of the Point Store a fresh coat of paint.
- Cutting down the brush and trees by the Life Skills Building with chainsaws and weed whackers; to reveal a beautiful view of the Guadalupe River!
- Painting one of the rooms in our Medical Building.
- Then hauling off all of the debris.