Upbring provides Transitional Foster Care programs in El Paso and Corpus Christi. These programs provide lifesaving support to very young, unaccompanied minors.
Upbring’s Transitional Foster Care programs ensure they have a safe, temporary environment, surrounded by professional staff and/or trained and nurturing foster parents. We provide necessary medical care, education, psychological and spiritual care, and case management services while the children move through the court system.
Upbring began providing Transitional Foster Care in El Paso in 2008 and in Corpus Christi during Fall 2014.
Upbring continues to have an increased need for qualified and capable foster parents to provide safe, stable homes.
Children in Transitional Foster Care
The largest numbers of children in Upbring’s Transitional Foster Care program migrate from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador and are among the most vulnerable populations in the U.S. Children leave their country of origin to escape from abusive family situations, reunite with family members in the U.S. or to seek better education and employment opportunities.
Many families living in Central American countries cannot afford to continue their children’s education past the U.S. equivalent of the sixth grade. Older children cite the high incidence of violence in their home countries as a reason for migration.
- Children are predominately Spanish-speaking
- Average length of stay in a foster home is 30-40 days
- Unaccompanied minors often suffer from post-traumatic stress
- The most common forms of trauma are abandonment by parents or primary caretakers, and physical abuse.
- Unaccompanied minors in the Transitional Foster Care program are not available for adoption.
Transitional Foster Care Parents
- Transitional Foster parents are:
- verified by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services;
- thoroughly screened;
- oriented and trained – specifically toward the particular needs of foreign and immigrant children – to serve as foster parents by Upbring.
Upbring’s Transitional Foster Care program is separate and distinct from the Upbring Foster In Texas domestic foster care program in El Paso.
For more information about becoming a Transitional Foster Care parent, call:
- El Paso – 915-771-0281
- Corpus Christi – 361-400-1200