Are you REAL?
You may be on your way to becoming an adult, but there are many kinds of adults. A REAL adult is a Ready Educated Accomplished Leader. Is that someone you want to be? You have the potential.
BeREAL Austin and BeREAL San Antonio can help prepare you to be more than simply an adult. Our program can prepare you to be a thriving adult and productive member of your community.
What is BeREAL?
BeREAL Austin and BeREAL San Antonio are part of a Supervised Independent Living (SIL) program for 18-21 year olds, in which young adults exiting the foster care system will:
- Live in their own apartment.
- Get an education and/or job.
- Pay bills on a regular basis.
- Have a mentor to help guide them into adulthood.
- Become a strong member of society.
Some of these things may sound scary—they can be scary to every young adult. The good news is you can have help becoming a REAL adult. Through this program, you will be paired with a case manager/mentor. This person will help you navigate the adult world, post-foster care, and prepare you to transition to a completely independent life. You will learn life skills such as: how to save money, how to manage time, how to be a good parent and how to find safe and stable housing once they transition out of BeReal.
This isn’t a hand-out program. It takes work to BeREAL.
- You must show a demonstrated readiness to live on your own.
- You need to have basic life skills—grocery shopping, cooking, navigating the bus system, etc.
- You have to be clean and sober.
- You have to be either attending school and/or working.
- You DON’T have to have a clean criminal history, but you DO have to be following the law now.
- You will set an education and/or employment goal for your life … and start working toward it.
Who is eligible for the BeREAL SIL program?
- Young adults eligible for the Extended Foster Care program.
- Young adults 18 or older on the desired placement date; you can start the application process at 17.5 years old.
- Pregnant or parenting young adults are accepted.
- Applicants who show a recent level of achievement in meeting personal and professional goals.
- Those young adults whose current behavior and level of maturity has been positively evaluated.
Are you ready to BeREAL?
Contact your CPS case manager and start filling out the forms linked on the referral page. Click here for more information on the application process.
BeREAL Austin and BeREAL San Antonio
8305 Cross Park Drive
Austin, TX 78754